Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ladyfingers

I love ladyfingers. They are my favorite in Tiramisu, or simply dunked in coffee or tea. I do have a problem how when I buy them in the store, it's rather random what I get. Sometimes they are waay too soft and crumbly, and other times they remind me more of biscotti than anything else.

However I came across this recipe, as I can no longer recall where, they always come out perfect! Much easier than I imagined making them would be. Also, you can whip up so many of these at a time, and quickly too I might add, it should only take 1/2 hour till you can eat one.

As you can see in my picture, if you use too much powdered sugar on top, it will end up just sitting there. Try to make it a light, even coating as that is what gives these the perfect crunchy coating.

On to the recipe!


You will need:

3 Eggs (separated)
5 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
½ Tsp Orange Juice
½ cup Flour
Powdered Sugar (to sift on top)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350° grease and flour cookie sheets.

Beat egg whites until foamy. Add 2 Tbsp sugar, one at a time and beat egg white until soft shiny peaks form.

In another bowl, beat egg yolks with remaining 3 Tbsp sugar, until thick and lemon colored. About 5 min. Add orange juice.

Gently fold ½ the flour into the egg yolk mixture. Slowly fold egg whites into the yolk mix. Then slowly fold in the remaining flour.

Spoon mixture into a pastry bag with a ¾ inch opening. Pipe fingers 1” apart, about 3” long. Sift some powdered sugar on top. Be careful to not use too much sugar, and sprinkle it as evenly on the cookie as possible. This is what gives the cookie the perfect crunch on top. Bake 10-12 min until firm and slightly golden. Cool on wire racks.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy, these look so good....thinking of these but maybe I can bake some after work today. Meanwhile....I can drool.

    ReplyDelete